What is an Employer looking for….
An effective, well-written resume is essential to your job search.
- Appearance of your document—Format properly and check your tenses.
- Use action verbs for your Resume; Check your spelling and grammar
- List your Accomplishments, Volunteer Positions and your Interests
- List your Honors i.e. Dean’s List; Cum Laude; and possibly your GPA
- Proofread your resume before sending out to possible job postings
- Be prepared! Keep original Letters of Recommendations and Grades
- Make enough copies of your documents so you are prepared when interviewing
- The Interviewer may ask for a copy of your Letter of Recommendation, Grades and possibly a Writing Sample. Always be prepared.
For a reasonable fee, Paratemps will prepare a professional document so you are all set at a moment’s notice. Paratemps has provided resume preparation as an added service for a number of years. Candidates and other professionals seeking discretion and needing a well-prepared resume have utilized this service.
How do I find the right job?
- Research the company via the Internet
- Put together a Resume Packet for the Interview (Resume and Reference List)—separately be prepared with copies of other important document i.e. Grades
- Inform your friends and family that you are looking for a job
- Contact Employment Staffing Agencies—they receive Job Orders that may not be on the Internet; Consider temping—it could lead to a permanent position
What do I need to do to interview well?
- Appearance—First impressions are critical
- Make an impact within the first 30 seconds
- Give Interviewer a firm handshake. Keep good eye contact—shows respect and confidence.
- Be on time for the interview! Be Prepared!
- Be prepared to respond to Interviewer’s questions on your resume
- Be prepared with questions you have for the Interviewer—rehearse your questions in advance
- Pre-screening process will determine if you possess skills as shown on your resume
- Identify a personal weakness and turn it around
- Identify a strong skill that will be beneficial to the job for which you are interviewing
- Do not bad mouth a former employer
- Salary—If possible, ask salary range in advance of interview
- Benefits—It is ok to ask at end of interview
- Exhibit professional behavior; i.e. no gum chewing; place cell phone on vibrate
- Send a “Thank You” note after the interview
- Once you make the first cut, it is your personality that will decide whether you are a good fit
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
CLIENT – QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Why should we utilize your services?
ParaTemps is locally owned by a paralegal who possesses extensive legal and business experience. The staff at ParaTemps has over 30 years of combined legal and business experience. Candidates that are assigned to our clients for either temporary or direct hire are carefully interviewed, screened and tested to provide the best possible fit.
Do you offer part-time staffing?
Yes. We have candidates that are seeking part-time positions when they are still in school, studying for the Bar, have children at home, or a variety of other reasons.
Do you offer direct hire placement?
Yes. We have placed numerous candidates in direct hire positions from law firms to corporations, schools, insurance companies and other entities.
If I hire a temporary worker, how long must the candidate be employed before we are able to hire?
ParaTemps requires that a temporary worker complete a required number of consecutive hours prior to being hired. However, should you wish to hire a temporary worker prior to completion of required hours, you may contact our office directly to discuss your request for early conversion.
I am seeking a direct hire candidate, so why should I use a temp?
We carefully interview and screen candidates to fit the needs of our clients. On occasion, it may take a little longer to find the most qualified candidate. While we continue our search, we will offer the services of a qualified temporary worker who possesses the right skills so our client’s work productivity remains uncompromised and uninterrupted during this transition period.
CANDIDATES – QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Why should I work as a temp?
Temping is a great way to obtain additional skills in a variety of different office situations. Perhaps you may not have considered a particular area of law and found that by temping, it provided another opportunity. We have placed many candidates in jobs that started out as a temporary position. Of course, you are still able to interview for other jobs while you are temping. It also provides an opportunity to earn money while you search for the right position.
What areas of law do you service? Please list:
- Insurance Defense
- Personal Injury Law
- Real Estate (Residential/Commercial)
- Probate and Family Law
- Trust and Estates
- Intellectual Property Law
- Workers Compensation
- Medical Malpractice
- Social Security Law
- Bankruptcy Law
- Health Care Law
- Immigration Law
- Criminal Law
Do I have to take a computer skills test?
We require that the majority of our candidates take a skills test to determine the right fit for you and also the client. Often the candidate is pleasantly surprised as to how well they scored!
Do you check references?
Absolutely. We ask that the candidate bring in three business references. Such references should include the name, title, address, phone number and/or email address, and the business relationship of the reference provided.
How long do I have to temp before I get hired?
Our policy is based on consecutive total hours of completion at the assigned client. On occasion, a client may wish to hire a temporary worker prior to the completion of the total hours completed. In that case, we contact the client to discuss an early conversion.
Do you offer direct hire placement services?
Yes. We have placed many candidates in law firms, corporations, insurance companies and other entities.
Do I have to pay a fee?
No. There is never a fee charged to our candidates. The fee is paid by our client. This is a win-win situation for you.
How should I dress?
Once you have accepted the assignment, we request that you are dressed professionally and that you conduct yourself in a professional manner. ParaTemps will provide you with additional information that will be beneficial to you once you start the assignment.